My first 3 blogs had really great hooks to get you started, so hopefully this lackluster ending will not be too harshly judged in comparison. You see, I know you know that even though I say I don't care about my grades, and I pretend I don't care about my grades, and I tell everyone on the planet I don't really care about my grades, I actually care an awful great deal. Mostly because I've always felt sort of second fiddle; like I need to prove I deserve to be where I am. It's likely that dreaded middle child syndrome I'm always being accused of having. When I was a kid my mom was always scolding me for "fishing for compliments" so maybe I have always wanted to prove my worth? Whatever the case, grades matter to me, even though they really shouldn't. I mean right now I'm over here freaking out because I got two questions wrong on a quiz for the other class when it means I'm now missing 5 points total across all my classes. And yet I'm still mad it happened.
In terms of grading in my classroom, since I'm at the second largest district in the state, grading and how those grades are sent out is mostly determined for me. That being said, I want all my students to know that the grade only measures where they are at that specific point in time; it doesn't give them their value. I don't want them to feel as connected to the grade as I always am in the back of my mind. The grade should be about figuring out where your gaps in understanding are so that you can learn more; they shouldn't be about worth. (If only I could take my own advice about this!)
Finally, in terms of this class, I would have to say I've learned more than I did in all my other classes this quarter combined. I've enjoyed helping my classmates with their work (and I anticipate doing that several more times before Midnight on Friday), and really discovered I liked making my own lessons from scratch (even the rubrics lol). I guess my nerdy nature extends even farther than I realized. There are a lot of things from this program right now I wish I could change, but this class is definitely not one of them.
~Ido Wah Nah
No comments:
Post a Comment